Saturday, January 10, 2009

One down

and many more weeks to go in the second semester. This past week was filled. Filled with Ashlyn and Trey starting new weekly practices, cramming factors, after school tutoring and meetings and a night of shopping. It's no wonder we were looking forward to getting in bed early and sleeping late.

I really don't have any one thing profound to blog about. I just thought I would share our week with you.

On Monday, Ashlyn started gymnastics with two of her best A friends. We went to Chic-Fil-A in Forney (not one of my favorite places to eat but I do conform sometimes because it isn't always my day) before heading to the gym. The girls sat at one table, the grown-ups and A at another, while R played in the play area. Things were grand until Ashlyn snuck my full cup of sweet tea and proceeded to poke through the sturdy stirofoam with her straw, leaving the need for the giant mop and yellow mop bucket. Thank goodness it was not crowded. We cleaned up our table messes, packed some to go and headed out. We got to the gym and Ashlyn changed into her gymnastics suit in the car and we were ready to make a run for it. This happened to be one of the coldest, wettest days of 2009 and she froze all the way to the door. We'll be more prepared next time with a cute jogging suit to wear over it. But then again, it may be 80 degrees. I make no big plans for clothing in this Texas weather. In fact, it was bugging me last night that we have hardly gotten to wear any of our fine sweaters because it is too hot most days to dress for the season that it is. And I do love some comfy winter outfits. Back to the week in progress...

Tuesday, the kids were punished for some issues on Monday. This is their normal day to spend the afternoon at Nana's but I made them all come home. It is a pattern that Tuesday nights are our worst nights - everyone is tired and cranky. Why I chose to make them come home is beyond me. Punishing the kids is punishment to the parents. It was two hours of fighting with each other, me yelling, spankins and pure torture to all involved. Once they finally started playing it was greatness but then it was time for showers and bedtime. Peace at last.

Wednesday, Ashlyn went to church with my mom and Trey went to stay with my dad. It was a good thing. We had all had enough of each other that a little separation for a couple of hours could only bring joy to everyone. I did laundry while Jared and Clayson tinkered outside.

Thursday, Trey started basketball practice. Jared took him and Clayson went along. Ashlyn was at my mom's playing and I was home alone -- awww. There was a slight issue when my friend Rhonda called twenty minutes into practice to say that Trey had not made it. I was so worried. I called Jared and he was grumpy because he said he went all over the school and there was no one there playing basketball. (Due to some construction most doors to the gym have been blocked off and he did not find the one entrance door but never bothered to call and ask me.) They were at Walgreens printing pictures only making Trey thirty-five minutes late to practice. I will explain to the coach...

Friday, thank goodness for Friday. By two o'clock I could barely stand up but I managed to teach another important math lesson. I should really praise my students for this week. I have taught them some major concepts one right after another along with writing a research paper and they have been such troopers. I owe them some extra time on the playground that's for sure. (I will post more about the research papers next week.) My boys and I left as soon as we could, picked up Ashlyn, stopped at Sonic, picked up my dad at Jason's and then I dropped everyone but Clayson off at the AMC to see the movie Marley and Me. Clayson wanted to hang with me because he was aware of my plans to get an iPhone. He is so good when he is by himself. I enjoy every minute of alone time with him. We got returns done and my phone - which I am more than pumped about. And then we went to El Fenix after the movie. My dad preferred downtown even though we were in Mesquite - go figure. We got home and I immediately hit the bed...what a week.

Today, we slept in and hung out. Trey and Ashlyn baked in the Easy Bake Oven, I cooked lunch and now I am debating a short nap before a night out with friends and the husband. Whew. What a week. Thanks for listening.

2 comments:

Misty said...

SOOOO busy!!! My Maddy is in 3rd and her weakest subject is Math! We are constantly working with her. She is already nervous for TAKS!

Anonymous said...

Ok, potential partner deal breaker is the Chick-Fil-A thing. Seriously, how can you not LOVE that place?? We live 3 miles from the one in Forney and I'm not allowed to go alone. We'd be broke. :)