Thursday, January 15, 2009

food for thought

Well, if losing weight, eating healthy, exercising or just cutting back on junk food had been any of my New Year's resolutions, sixteen days into the year I would have failed miserably. It's why I don't make resolutions because as soon as I decide to set unrealistic goals my urge for control sets in and I don't do them on purpose. It may an undetermined illness in need of therapy, control freaks anonymous. Is there a pill for controlling control issues?

I realize that I am a closet eater. I eat after the kids go to bed or my favorite, while I am taking a hot bubble bath. Tonight I got caught. Ashlyn and Trey were around playing after we had gotten home from Trey's basketball practice so I poured up some coke, grabbed the cherry cheesecake and headed to the bathroom - where I found Trey. Busted! The conversation went something like this ...

"Mama, what are you doing with that in here?"
"Trey, why are you in MY bathroom?"
"Are you gonna eat all that pie?"
"Trey, get out of here NOW and I might save you a bite if you go on and leave me alone for ten minutes."

I turned my iPod on and it was a hot bubble bath, a cherry cheesecake still in the pie pan, some coke in a glass and some cool tunes to keep me company. Heaven....

This is not the first and won't be the last of my closet eating adventures. I can't tell you when the last time I had a decent dinner was. It has been pizza, crackers and cherry cheesecake all week long. Jared is gone so it is a big free for all at night. Thank goodness the kids are getting decent meals at school.

Oh, and one tidbit of important information - swiss cake rolls are the ultimate comfort food. Little Debbie rocks!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I thought I invented closet eating! Glad to know I am not alone... although, nowadays my closet eating isn't as satisfying as it used to be...

Misty said...

You are so funny! I hide food from kids ALL THE TIME! And my husband actually-he is a health nut these days and I don't want to get "the look"! :)

A is for Angela said...

girl I have the same habbit for some reason a plate of nachos at night really seem to make me sleep better. (so I think) food is my best friend but we are going to have to stop being such good friends if I start gaining alot of extra love (if u know what I mean)

my3ringcircus said...

I can't help it but on the nights Travis is at the fire station all I can think is "No Cooking Tonight Baby!" I always find the easiest and greasiest thing to eat. Then put the kids to bed and catch up with my DVR while munching down. Don't get me wrong I do miss him while he is gone but I do love every third night!!! The ice cream and I have learned to embrace those quiet nights!