Sunday, October 26, 2008

daddy's girl

9:13 a.m. The phone is ringing but I am still in bed.



*

9:15 a.m. The phone is ringing again, Ashlyn manages to find it and answer it. She is trying to tell her Mimi a story but she is interrupted and is told to give me the phone. In a voice of panic my mom tells me that my dad was having chest pains and is being taken to Baylor by ambulance with Jared on board.




*

9:16 a.m. I am speechless. I am worried. I am scared. I am sad. I need my dad. I pray.



*

9:17 a.m. I get up and call Jared. Jared has the same quivery voice as my mom. This is when I know that things are not good. Nobody is calling it a heart attack but I know that is what is going on. It breaks my own heart. I need my dad. I think about our last conversation and a flood of memories come over me.



*

There are four kids in the house because I was babysitting a friend's little boy. I tell my boys to shower and get ready, I shower and put the little ones in the bathtub while I get ready. Things seem to be in slow motion and there are a lot of loose ends to tie up - the boys are going with a friends husband, Ashlyn has a birthday party to go to and I am making arrangements to drop off Jase. In the meantime I am in touch with my mom, my brother and friends.


*

10:40 a.m. I leave the house and go to my mom's to get something she needs. I notice a jar of mine and my dad's favorite pickles sitting on the cabinet and it makes me smile. I take my kids to Crandall. I stop to get gas. I head to Dallas. On my way my mom calls to tell me that my dad has already had the procedure - they put a stint in an artery that was 100% clogged - and he is doing great. A wave of relief comes over and I don't forget to thank my Heavenly father for sparing my dad's life.

*

11:45 a.m. I finally make it to the hospital, find the right building, the right floor and the right waiting room. There are so many of my mom's friends here and my grandparents and aunt. They tell me how good my dad looks and Patti shows me the way to his room. I see my daddy. He does look good with just a few monitors, machines and oxygen. He takes my hand. I love my daddy and I am thankful I have been given this opportunity to tell him that I love him. I ask him if he had pickles for breakfast and he tells me that he drank some juice :) I knew it!! I am just like him. His only complaint is that he is hungry but at least he is able to watch the Cowboy game.



*

As I sit here in this waiting room surrounded by friends and family I realize the importance of a friend, the bond of a family and how precious life truly is.

3 comments:

Allison said...

It's too bad that it takes things like this to make us realize how precious life is. I'm so glad that he's doing so well! Hallelujah!

Unknown said...

Nothing like a wake up call to get us on track. I am so glad the day turned out so good...

Chasing Jase said...

I am so relieved that your dad is alright! Pickle juice is the devil...Johnny had an emergency room visit because he thought that he was having a heart attack. He now has permanent bald spots on his chest from the electrodes;-) All cuz of pickle juice! I am glad this story has a happy ending! Many more opportunities to hug his neck.