Tuesday, September 23, 2008

some things are just a must

Today was kindergarten donuts for dad. It took some coaxing for Ashlyn to participate in this because she is such the mama's girl - quite a change from two boys who are obsessed with the daddy. She doesn't want him to take her to school and last week he offered to come eat lunch with her and she didn't want that either. The boys would have jumped all over that. (It's kind of bad on my part because in the mornings when she starts her whining because she is so not a morning person, I threaten her that I will make her ride with daddy to school. She usually straightens up. Hey, I have to have something to make her stop before it wears on my nerves to the point of ruining my day.) So, off they went to enjoy some glazed donuts.

About an hour into the morning, I get an email from Jennifer titled "Cosmetology degree?" - I open it with no idea what to expect with a title like that, no one I know is planning to go this direction. Much to my surprise, Jennifer is wondering who applied Ashlyn's make-up before school this morning. My reply to her was - what do you mean? - in the large print. She emailed back and said that Chris had noticed Ashlyn's "make-up" and wondered about it. Jared told him that I did not make her wash it off. Bad mama. This is what our Monday night was like...

On Monday's the kids go home to their Nana and Pop's where they graciously feed them dinner, help them with homework and play with them until about 7:00. Last night ran a little later because Clayson was creating things for barter day. They did not get home until around 8:30. By this time, I was perched on the couch and hoped they were tired and ready for bed because I did not want to over exert myself after having not done much since I got home at 4:30. Clayson and Trey were willing to lay around on the couch and watch Monday night football. Ashlyn just needed some grape Tylenol to cure her allergies/ issues (as she calls them). I got her the medicine and it wasn't until I gave her this, while she was in bed, that I realized she had marker all over her. She didn't want to take a bath and I didn't want to make her. She hadn't been outside or smell stinky so maybe the clean clothes she was to wear to school the next day would cover it. So, back to the stained hands, arms and legs. I made her get out of bed and I scrubbed her with Bath and Body soap. She was redder than the red marker and cranky at this point. I sent her to bed with faded marker prints. Thought I would get after it again this morning. Washable markers must not pertain to the skin. I did scrub her some more this morning telling her that we would not skip bath time anymore. I fixed her hair, put the toothpaste on her toothbrush, and washed her face - missing her right eyelid, evidently. When I got her from Mamaw's this afternoon I see where there is some red marker rubbed at the eyelid and into the eyebrow. Tonight, a shower is a must. And, mama will be a little more observant of the face. I am very observant of Trey whose mouth and eyes require a lot of attention all of the time, now I am gonna add Ashlyn to the list of checking the face before letting her get out of the car. And I thought I was through with baby wipes...

No comments: