Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Nerve's the word

I finally worked up the nerve to go to the dentist. A tooth started hurting real bad Sunday so I called Monday to get an appointment for today. Please note: I have a major fear of dental work - my mom tells me that I left my first dental visit, at the age of four, with bruises. I don't remember this but I do know that growing up I always had at least one cavity at every cleaning. The one time I didn't have any was a huge celebration. It wasn't until I was 28 years old that I realized a shot in the gums was actually a needle, I thought somehow they were just pinching the nerves in my gum. Now that I know they use a needle, I am even more afraid. There is some truth to the statement that what you don't know won't hurt ya. The drilling, the shot, the smell, the dentist and nurse talking to you and wanting an answer during the procedure, the water and the suction - it's just more than I can bear.

Today, though, I put on my big girl panties and went to my mom's dentist in Rockwall. You know how as a kid there would be a doctor or dentist appointment that you really didn't want to go to and you would think about something in the future that you could look forward to after you got through what you were dreading? Well, today I knew that after this trip to the dentist I could start looking forward to the Cotton Festival tomorrow! I had a queasy stomach this morning, got through that, packed my valium that says I need to take it one hour prior to dentist appointment but couldn't since I have never taken one and did not want to be driving impaired. I kept it in my purse just in case...

Got to the dentist. Filled out papers (my favorite thing to do). Got called back. The dentist and her assistant were very nice. I'd rather be the friend than the patient. They took a few x-rays and there they were right on a computer monitor. There was no waiting on the dark room to develop them. Then, she put a little metal wand in my mouth that was a camera and took pictures that also showed up on the monitor. I really did not need to see all that. Her next statement was, "here is what needs to be done and how you are going to get through it..."

I was laid back in the chair, in the mode that I was about to be pain-free thanks to some gas and a little shot. I was mentally prepared. BUT, she tells me that she is going to call an Endodontist in Dallas to see if they can get me in for a root canal. What?! You won't treat me here? No, she does not perform root canals. For one if I had known this I would have chosen a different dentist where you get everything done at one place, kind of like a buffet. Two, now I am going to be facing two dental bills. Three, I don't know if I can make myself go somewhere else. Dental appointments usually only get one chance with me. I asked about just pulling it, it's not in a trashy location to be seen with the naked smile. She does not recommend this but it could be an option. It is better to repair the nerve... She talked so kindly of this group of Endodontists and told me I would be out in an hour, I was convinced to go there.

I leave Rockwall and head to Dallas, crying ALL the way there. I call my friend Sharon for moral support. I make it to this office, wipe my face and the mascara that has run and head inside. I fill out more papers (not so excited this time) and there is one about payments. There were 4 options: pay it all, apply for credit with no interest the first three months, make 3 payments autodrafted from checking account or make two payments with autodraft. I was so confused, I applied for the credit. They are not a provider under any insurance. Wish I had known this. Neither was the other lady, by the way. Root canal is running about $1600 plus the gas, which I would need - especially at this point.

Nurse comes to get me, no greeting or anything, just come this way. I get in the chair with a plastic apron, the bib and the heavy x-ray apron. Evidently, the three x-rays I brought were not good enough. I just lay there and cannot control the tears of fear. I know the inevitable is about to get underway. Nurse gives me a tissue (after I ask) but never offers any words of comfort. Maybe she was annoyed. Oh well, so was I. Dentist comes in and I tell him, jokingly, that I want a quick fix. He, unjokingly, tells me that there is no quick fix for something that has taken a long time to get there. He tells me that I have a cavity under a filling that is irritating the nerve. The only solution he can offer is a root canal. Duh. Here is the kicker: he then tells me that he could do thirty minutes of the work today, I'd need to come back for another hour of work another day and then two more times for a crown. WHAT?! Four days off of work, I can't. I tell him I'd prefer he pulls it. He doesn't do extractions in his office, he'd have to call the other dentist back to see what she says. I was in a BAD mood at this point. I sat in the chair with all the extra baggage on and the dental tray in my face for at least 15 minutes. The assistant never said a word to me. He came back and said that she would not pull the tooth, I'd have to see an oral surgeon for that and with sedation. I told him he had to be kidding me. He said that as anxious as I am, the IV and being put to sleep would be the best way to deal with this. I told him that the IV was scarier than anything he would do to me. Have they never had a patient that was a bit (okay, a lot) frightened? Geesh. TAKE THIS NERVE AND SHOVE IT!!

I headed home with absolutely nothing but two dental runarounds $300 later.

3 comments:

Allison said...

I'm sorry that it was such a terrible day. And I also feel really bad that I couldn't help but laugh the entire time I was reading this. I think it's just b/c I can imagine you and your annoyances - more than anything.

Unknown said...

At least you had the cotton fest to look forward to throughout this 'unnerving' experience... (pun intended, of course:)

babyboybleu said...

Oooh...that is awful! That is how I feel about getting my hair cut;-) Try Dr. Wilson, he is a sweetheart and it's on your plan!