Friday, June 20, 2008

trey-boy

Yesterday we came to Medical City Children's emergency room to have a blister/boil like sore on the bottom of his foot looked at. This all started as a splinter. The concern being the streaks that were coming from it and the pain it was causing. We went to the Care Now clinic first and they sent us here because of the extent of the procedure it would require.

I was a wreck on the way to the hospital. I don't do well with my children hurting or going to hospitals. And, it was Ashlyn's birthday. I was so torn.

We made it here, into a room and then it is hurry up and wait. They ordered antibiotics, an x-ray and an IV. He was great through the IV process, not easy for the mom though - I , of course, stepped outside. Thank goodness for the daddy and nana.

X-rays were done, no foreign object found - but then again, they said that wood does not show up in x-rays. Then we get word that the surgeon would be in shortly to talk to us. Surgery was not the route I wanted him to have to go. At 11:00 p.m. they told us that it would be about 4:00 a.m. before the surgery to drain the sore and remove anything they found. Ten minutes later, the surgeon's assistant came to get him. We were all in shock at this immediate timing. Trey's nerves along with the medications got the best of him - he was throwing up and having diarrea. This delayed the process but soon we were on our way to the holding/recovery room. It is so hard to be strong when all you want to do is cry. We got to the holding room, talked with the surgeon, anethesiologist and the nurse. Little bit later they gave him "happy juice" in his IV and within a couple of minutes, he was drifting off to sleep. This was devestating to me. I never wanted to have to see any of my babies put to sleep. I chose to leave while he was still responding. I needed to go be alone to shed some tears of love and concern that only a mom can shed. My dad and Clayson made it and it was time to be strong again for Clayson. I tried to hide my sadness best I could but I could see the same sadness in Clayson's big brown eyes. About 30 minutes after they took him down, the surgeon came and told us that he did great and that they had removed an abcess. This lifted some of the pressure but until I could see him, I was still anxious. Fifteen minutes later, Jared and I were allowed into the recovery room where Trey lay sound asleep with a big oxygen mask on covering his face. The nurse eventually aroused him with a cold wet washrag - he sat straight up in bed. As he came around, he mentioned that he wanted some coffee. Poor baby, he hadn't eaten or had anything to drink since lunch. He wanted to know if he was through and we could smile and say yes.

He was wheeled to the room with mom, dad, Clayson, Pawpaw and Nana right beside him. He was drowsy but in good spirits. Relief. In the room, we all settled in around him and enjoyed visiting with him until he drifted off to sleep. Then, Jared and I settled in to a twin sized hospital bed - no rest for the weary.

Trey had a good night, he only did odd things like sit up and look around a couple of times. We communicated with him and he responded normally. Nurses were in and out. I got up around 6:15 to call Mamaw and Papaw, back to bed until it was time to make more phone calls. The nurse said she was certain he would not go home today, so I decided to run to the house. We needed clothes, toiletries, the other kiddos needed clothes and preparations for tomorrow and I needed a shower. I went and got Ashlyn so that I could spend some time with her. She was quite cranky and confused...

Jared said that three doctors came in and here is the latest:
- blood test came back positive for infection
- ordering an MRI to see if there is anything needing to be removed and where the infection is
- infectious disease doctor is involved for precautionary reasons
- depending on the type of infection we may be here two days to a week

Trey took a good nap and is now up and enjoying the dry-erase board that his Mimi brought in his goody bag. Please keep our baby boy in your prayers.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Bless his heart! I am praying for a fast recovery! Let us know if you need anything!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry. Let Trey know that we are praying and keeping him in our thoughts. It brings tears to my eyes just thinking of it all. Cade had MRSA (staph)infection in his foot last year....we caught it just in time and didn't need anything more than antibiotics but Whew!! We were scared! Give the kids love from their "newest" cousins. Love, Kimberly