Monday, September 7, 2009

it's the little things

I had forgotten what a three day weekend felt like. I feel like I have had a nice break from the BTS hustle and bustle that has been going on for two weeks (wow).

Friday night I did laundry and found myself in the recliner inbetween loads. Jared was not happy that I had taken over "his" chair for the evening. You would have thought he was Archie Bunker but I am definitely no Edith.

Saturday morning I had a senior shoot. Saturday afternoon I edited for hours and we realized that we really did not have enough time to go to the lake as we had hoped. But, it all worked out because we spontaneously met with two other couples and friends for dinner. (We've talked about getting together since summer started and on a whim it worked out.)

Sunday, the kids and I went to Sunday School and then headed out to do some shopping. It had been SO long since Ihad taken a shopping trip. It's the time of year that kids will need jeans and for the first time, I am prepared for the jean-wearing-season. We met my grandparents, parents, Jason & Megan for lunch at Roadhouse and then left Mesquite to go to Grapevine Mills. It was crowded but I didn't notice. I found some good deals and splurged by buying myself a shirt and bubble bath (from Bath & Body - where Trey knocked over a glass shelf toppling all of the antibacterial handsoap that was three for $10). I saw a couple of things that reminded me that it would be time to start Christmas shopping soon.

Sunday night I headed out on a journey to Tonya and Kenneth's for a get-together. We had a good time hanging out on the patio, listening to some country music, feeding the catfish in the pond and laughing a lot. Laid back... it's how I roll (as of lately).

Today...apparently the lake plans are shot down again and I am doing laundry again. I am also cleaning a house that I thought I had just cleaned. If only I could learn to just sit and relax sometimes instead of always finding things that need to be done when I am home. OCD, it's big part of who I am.

Here are some "small thing" realizations that I have experienced over this three day weekend:

* I love the smells of Fall and could not pass up the Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin hand soap at Bath & Body. In fact, I bought three.

* There is nothing like 40% off on Gap school pants.

* I finally learned not to order a meal at Texas Roadhouse because the rolls and free appetizers are meal enough. And this way ordering a $2 coke doesn't seem so bad.

* New iPhone covers excite me.

*Cotton candy while shopping gives you the needed energy to get you around all six areas of Grapevine Mills and leaves children with sticky hands for the ride home.

* If you want your car washed, plan a dinner with friends. Jared was too ashamed to take it dirty so he washed it first.

* As much as I dig the Cotton Festival I did not buy the kids the bracelets for unlimited rides this year.

* I might have an infatuation with updating my facebook statuses.

* Double Dave's chocolate chip pizzas are only $4.99 and are scrumptious when reheated in the microwave for a late night snack.

* Silence is golden.

*I used to not procrastinate, now I do. I used to could make decisions easily, now I can't. I used to like to be on the go, now I like staying home. I used to like to go out with friends, now I like hanging at someone's house. I used to make plans, now I like to be spontaneous. I used to like to spend money, now I like to save it. I used to like Wal-Mart, now I hate it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HA!!! Love the last one...I can totally relate!!