Tuesday, September 22, 2009

a dream becomes a reality

Last Thursday I was laying in bed fixing to watch "Ellen" when an announcement caught my attention - Joe Montana appearing in Dallas. What?! I had barely been listening so I paused the TV, just to make sure I was not hearing things. There it was - a picture of Joe Montana and an event at SMU listed. I am not sure how many times I rewound this to make sure I was not dreaming and to get all of the facts straight.


(Here's how the rest of that night went... ) SMU! That's where my brother went to college as a football trainer. He still has connections. I called him immediately. And, at the same time I was FB chatting with my mother-in-law and she tells me that Jennifer's dad (Jennifer is an employee of hers), was the head trainer at SMU and she told me his name. Oh my gosh, what a small world. Jennifer's dad was my brother's boss. Now I was thinking this would get me in to the athletic forum event for sure... or at least I was hoping.

Sunday: Jason, my brother, told me that one of the girls I used to babysit and also taught in 5th grade, Emily, was getting an award at the ceremony. I mentioned all of this to Emily's mom and they told me that her event was on Tuesday night. The SMU athletic forum was on Wednesday. At this point I am thinking, that just doubled the opportunities for a chance encounter with my hero.

Sunday evening: Turns out I could not get any tickets to either event but I was already coming up with a plan to be in Dallas - same time, same place - as this amazing quarterback.

Today: I was kind of debating on whether to make the attempt. I was tired, out of sorts with random things at school and have something to do every night this week. But deep down I knew that I would never forgive myself if I didn't try. After all, I had traveled to Oakland, California for his training camp (18 years ago) and went to his football game in Houston (16 years ago) and tonight he was just 30 minutes up the road in Dallas.

I called the Fairmont Hotel just to make sure I would even be able to get into the lobby. The concierge, Daniel, was also a big fan and told me to come on. I joked with him, hoping to get on his good side and wanting a "hook up" when I got there.

I asked Trey to come along with me. (Like his teacher said - might as well teach him how crazy women can be.) We drove to Dallas, wandered around on some random streets in downtown and finally found this fancy hotel. We parked and made our way inside. Walking around, scouting out the area, we did not see him. But then I found my friend Daniel. I asked him if he was there and he said yes and in a kind of hush-hush manner told me where to find him and suggested I send Trey in front of me, maybe to make it seem less stalkerish. I thought he was kidding but he so wasn't!

We found Joe Montana sitting with his back to the lobby, practically hidden. Woohoo!! I smiled so big and said, "oh my gosh, you're my hero", so cheesy but it was my first reaction and I could not hold back the excitement. He saw my biggo camera and told me he doesn't take photos because he had already been to court twice over them. A little disappointing but understandable. He did, however, autograph a football folder for Trey. I could not quit smiling as he talked to Trey and shook his hand with those massive quarterback hands. (Trey really has no clue who he is or what he means to me ... he was just happy to be there - but not near as happy as me.)

It was an experience I will NEVER forget! 19 years ago it became a dream, today it became a reality.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Crazy, obsessive stalker girl!!! That took A LOT of guts!! Pretty impressive!