Wednesday, September 16, 2009

bit of this & bit of that

It’s so hard to believe that I haven’t blogged in nine days. I am such a slacker. I can’t come up with any reasons besides football practices, lesson planning, grading, laundry, grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, taking and editing pictures, spending time with friends and family, a trip to Chuck E. Cheese, Friday night football, baking for a school luncheon and new in 2009/2010 – ironing the school clothes.

After five days of rain we are left with gloomy skies and cooler temperatures. The sun must be taking a hiatus. I do love the onset of fall. I won’t kid myself because I am aware that it is only September and the Texas heat may rise again before it falls for good. I will enjoy the cool temperatures while they last and I will refrain from putting on my corduroy pants – for now. For dinner I have found myself wanting to cook taco soup, chili and baked potato soup. I am ready to go up to the attic and bring down the fall decorations. I think about making a Christmas list often. (Honestly, I would have cooked those things if I had the ingredients. I’m holding out until October to fill my house with orange pumpkins and the scent of pumpkin spice. The Christmas list is a fleeting thought that really needs to be put down on paper. My kids are throwing out the “I wants” and all are currently following up that statement with laptops.)

We are still rocking along in school. It’s hard to believe that we are in our 4th week. For me, this has been a life changing year. Having smaller classes has given me the opportunity to get to know my kids on a more personal level, how to meet their needs on academic levels and time to teach without the constant interruptions. Going from 28 students to a class of 20, a class of 17 and a class of 19 is HUGE. I didn’t know small classes with empty desks even existed. I love the new building that I am in, all the people that I work with and especially those that I work for. It is so cute to see my 5th graders react to the three and four year olds in Headstart and Pre-K. It makes all of us smile to see the bubbles in their mouths (I have even tried that strategy for walking down the hall quietly and it works). I see Trey at lunch (with his dirty face) and at recess. At least once a week I pass Ashlyn’s class in the hall and she tries the sneaky wave (up under her chin). She comes into my classroom at the end of the day with a burst of energy and hunger. Her thoughts this week have been 1.) how many years after first grade and 2.) in the midst of a morning fit – lunch is the only good thing about school. Some days, I might agree. Trey has made new friends and he has a blast after school. It is hard to get him and Ashlyn ready to leave school, they have so much fun when it is over. I can find Ashlyn by following the popcorn trail and Trey by finding a group of sweaty boys. Clayson has had some minor setbacks in his 6th grade journey. He has gotten in trouble in the hall, forgotten his belt and was tardy to class. I think that it is going to be a roller coaster ride all year. Both of us will just have to learn how to deal with teacher personalities and the rules and regulations all while I encourage him to make better choices and making sure he knows that the school rule “in trouble at school – in trouble at home” will always apply.

And, lastly, we interrupt this marriage to bring you hunting season. Jared will be on the road a lot … starting tomorrow.

Hope this blog finds you having fun and looking forward to the months ahead. Always remember to live, to laugh and to love.

1 comment:

Misty said...

SHHHH-I pulled out my fall stuff and decorated! I couldn't wait anymore!!!!