Sunday, May 17, 2009

from 35mm film to 35mm zoom

From the time I was little, I have always loved being behind a camera. Of course, then, it was the wind up 35mm film cameras. I'll never forget the day I got a step stool, put it on my bed, covered it with a blanket and took pictures of each of my dolls. But what I remember most about that day is that my mom lost the roll of film and I never got to see how those pictures turned out. Sad day.

For the past couple of years I have been super envious of my friend Allison, who has gotten the opportunity to become an amazing photographer and makes unbelievable invitations while being a stay-at-home mom. I have not had much interest in staying home since I started teaching when the boys were little, but photography has always been a hobby. I don't leave home without a camera and miss most of the action because I am trying to catch it digitally.

All it took was my father-in-law loaning me his good camera and telephoto lens to grip that passion that I have tried to withhold. I had to have my own camera. It stirred up some anger at the Davis house but I tried to help keep it in perspective and equate photography with deer hunting, a hobby for both. It has not been an issue since.

My intentions were never more than this being a hobby but it has since lead to a desire to make a little money with it. I have learned from the best and I will never call myself a professional, yet just a teacher who takes casual pictures with a casual price.

I have loved the opportunites that I have been given and look forward to more. My photography blog is listed to the right. Enjoy the pictures that I enjoyed taking.

1 comment:

Misty said...

AWESOME! I will love looking at your work!