Wednesday, February 4, 2009

who needs webster's or weir's furniture

It's been two years - no lie - since we have had a dinner table. There was not room for one in the love shack and Jared insisted that he was going to build a cedar one for the new house. It hasn't happened yet and since his mom and dad were getting rid of the one that they had, I gladly accepted the hand-me-down with the pretty buffet. Jared says it is only a matter of time before he gets one going and the chairs will have deer hide cushions. I can't wait. Not only do these deer stare at me from the shop freezer but soon I can rest my rump on them. Have I told you that he is going to taxidermy school in March - my house is bound to become full of dead things. So much to look forward to.

I was telling you about the dinner table. Last night we had our first family dinner away from the couches and the TV. It was exciting to set the table instead of the normal buffet that I set up on the bar. It also inspired me to consider a chore chart for the children that includes nightly kitchen duty. Can life get any better?

Around the table:
* Ashlyn was talking about Jesus being God's son and Trey quickly corrected her by saying that they are both the same person. Knowing the extent of this concept and the young audience, I thought this conversation would end just as quickly as it started but how it ended could not have surprised me more. Trey told Ashlyn that it was like Hannah Montana and Miley Cyrus are the same. Wow! It made such perfect sense. No wonder Jesus wants us to come to Him like little children.
* There was also conversations about working out, eating healthy, drinking less coke and why no one eats the tomatoes in the rotel. But none were as enlightening as Trey's big revelation.

Some say she is smart and cute and I agree. I also know that she is highly entertaining. I am referring to my five year old daughter. Here are some recent things I don't ever want to forget.

Ashlyn-isms:
She throws around extensive vocabulary in her conversations and here are some of the most recent words, definitions and how it can or was used in a sentence.
1.) guilty: you think you have a lot of money but you don't or you think you have a lot of toys but you don't. The other day she told me she was mad at a friend and she was guilty.
2.) instanding: you're horrible. My mama is outstanding but Clayson and Trey are instanding.
3.) hoarse/ horse: when you are sick or your throat hurts you have a horse. Ashlyn told her Mimi that she was sick and she had a horse.
4.) deserve: what you want. I deserve corn and green beans and a piece of pizza. I am not kidding order me some cheese pizza.

Last Friday they celebrated the 100th day of school and Ashlyn was certain that she was going to 1st grade on Monday or it was summer time. After all, you don't just throw a party unless some big change is going to come out of it.

She just now got under a blanket in the recliner and said she is back to hibernating.

This little girl rocks my world!

No comments: