Monday, July 14, 2008

A Mood Lift

Yesterday, I desperately needed some sleep, peace amongst the children and time to sulk. Let's just say - I got most of what I wanted. Peace among the children seems impossible. I did rest, sulk and indulge in pecan praline ice cream.

Before going to bed Ashlyn was laughing at her arms and legs because they were red. I did not think anything about it, she had been outside and they might have been a little burned. But, when I actually came out of my pity party, I noticed that she was rashy - all over. Being the good mom and her being the third child, we decided to sleep on it and see if it was better in the morning. It turned into another restless night and I can't blame it on my racing mind this time. Ashlyn was cranky. She would cry, toss, turn and scratch. Still, we waited until this morning to do anything about it. I should be ashamed of myself... In the waking moments I made a mental note to self to get up and go to Wal-Mart for Benadryl and toilet paper first thing.

I got up early (9:00) to head out. Ashlyn was right behind me. She normally never gets up before 10:30. I told her that I had some Benadryl that she needed to take. She said that she did not need Benadryl, she wanted Neosporin. I tried to convince her that would not work as I forced the melt away on her tongue as she gagged. I think she managed to get some medicine down. I went to Wal-Mart, got the things on my list and was home and ready to get started on unpacking so that I could repack. (Doesn't make sense? Read on.)

I started with the kitchen boxes. I washed everything and got excited to see the bakeware, the dinnerware and the cups/glasses that had long been forgotten. I washed, dried, organized and put them into tubs so that they will stay clean throughout the next couple of weeks. I even started emptying the shack's kitchen cabinets with things we don't use. I was in the groove! Ashlyn was so excited to get to see her baby toys as we went through those boxes. It was a day of unpacking, repacking, reminiscing and messes. It brought me out of my funk though. I felt like I was able to do something worthwhile. It dawned on me that I don't want to wait until we are through to start moving, I need to start now. Otherwise, school starting and trying to move will not be a delightful predicament.

Oh, about Ashlyn's rash - it seems to be getting better ...maybe... it seems to have a fever but you would never know anything is wrong with her. Just for the record - the benadryl dissolvent put her out like a light, the off brand that I went for today - livened her up. Going back to the dissolvent immediatly :)

Her and I just got back from a trip to Whataburger. All the way there she wanted to know why the sun followed us everywhere. An aha moment for this science teacher mom, I explained to her that the sun does not move, we move around it. This hard-headed five year old was not convinced. But, we both gave up trying to prove our point and moved on to better things, like the fact that we have not fixed her hair today. She wanted to know if we were just going to go through the drive-FRU. It was an exhausting twenty minute trip!

We are home enjoying our less-than-healthy dinners and all is well...

No comments: