Monday, October 12, 2009

because they are worth celebrating

October is a big birthday month for our family.


Here's a glimpse of my calendar:
Oct. 1oth - Jason (the brother) and Papaw
Oct. 11th - Mamaw
Oct. 15th - me

Boom, boom, boom - we all age within five days. I have never thought of my birthday as a big deal, maybe it's because I have always had to share. But, there is no one I'd rather share it with than these three people.

For as long as I can remember we have always had a day to celebrate my Mamaw and Papaw's birthdays. And these two people are worth celebrating! They mean the world to me. More than they will ever know. Every minute spent with them creates memories that will never be forgotten. They kept me when I was a baby and took me to school when I got older (my Papaw even drove me to college the last month of my pregnancy). We lived with them while our house was being built in Crandall and then I packed my bags to run away to their house more than once. I realize now that I am quick with math because of all the card games that they taught me and because I was usually the scorekeeper. I can spell because we played a lot of Scrabble with my Granny. They took me in as a rebellious teenager and let me live there for a while to try to break my will (dating a boy that I was forbidden to see). I wish that I could say that I could cook because my Mamaw taught me. She did teach me how to sift flour, measure brown sugar and separate the yolk from the egg - all while sitting on top of the counter. I just don't apply those skills. I'd rather eat her goodies than make my own. Every year we spend the Saturday before Thanksgiving making Christmas candy to enjoy throughout the season. This year I will not just enjoy the "tasting" - I will be more active in the "making" part of it. (Hopefully, I can do both.) Not only have they been a HUGE part of my life but they have also been a BIG part of my kid's lives. They kept Clayson, Trey and Ashlyn for me while I was at different stages in my life: working at Countryside Homes and as I started and progressed through my teaching career. I cannot thank them enough for ALL that they have been to me and all the times that they have been there for me.
My Mamaw and Papaw are amazing people. They have been such wonderful Christian examples and bless everyone that they meet. For 33 (right at 34) years they have blessed me every single day. Not a day goes by that I don't think of them and their love for me. I am so glad that God chose me to be their granddaughter. I love you Mamaw and Papaw and hope that you had a happy birthday and many more to come.



... the greatest memories we have, aren't because of times or places but because of the love of those that we had by our side when we made them....


Here's our birthday time in '09
where: Gary and Judy's house in Martin's Mill
when: October 11th
who: family near and dear to my heart, special surprise guest: Aunt Linda (Mamaw's sister)
why: celebrate a mom and dad / Mamaw and Papaw



And, happy birthday to you my dear, sweet brother. You're the best brother I have ever had!


No comments: