Saturday, December 13, 2008

shop, spank and go home

I have found secrets to saving money. In fact, I have found the secret to not spending a dime while at the mall during the Christmas season on a Saturday. Here's the scoopage....

I took off of work on Friday for a shopping trip all alone - meaning no kids, no crowds and hoping for little left on my list at the end of the day. I was very successful in this adventure at Bass Pro Shop, Grapevine Mills and then at the Galleria. The problem though is that there is very little left in the pocketbook until Thursday. So, (those that know me will find this as no surprise) I unloaded and sorted into piles for each kid and also made a return pile. I am an impulse shopper and look forward to returning some items the minute they come out of the bag. While unloading I also noticed that the checker-outer at Old Navy threw in a pair of pajama pants (that must have been laying around) while I went to get the second pair of shoes. It was either buy one pair of cute boot houseshoes for $14.50 or get two pair for $15. I had to get another pair (red) for miss Ashlyn and did not notice the added bonus of unwanted pj pants until I emptied the sack. I could not wait to return these today - that was $6.99 off my charge. I guess my first way to save money or at least to stop shopping is to load up before you are halfway through the mall that never ends with two bags on each arms causing your hands to lose all circulation. And be sure to have your purse and shopping bag with all lists, coupons, clipboard and circulars amongst the purchases. I was practically running to find the entrance where I parked because I was so weighted down and did not have a bit of room or another arm for one more thing.

But, if you are in the mood to Christmas shop and don't really have the funds to do so - take my three children. I had the returns to do today and Jared is hunting so the kids and I loaded up for a great afternoon in Mesquite on a Saturday during the Christmas season. All the way there I hollered at someone for arguing with me, tried to throw a curve spankin' to the one pestering the others and had to take away a cell phone. Why I did not turn around on 175 is beyond me. I thought maybe crowds and saying no to everything that they wanted would be fun. Ha! We meandered our way through Town East dropping into stores just so I could say "you'll have to wait for Christmas" to each child at every store. And then when I did try to find something for my Mamaw, I could not stand the hide & seek in the nightgown section any longer. Away we went - an hour and a half later - and did not spend a dime. So, if you are really in the mood to be in the atmospheric conditions of the season and don't have any money to spend, call on my three angels for a penniless shopping spree :0)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good...it's not just me!!! My boys make shopping a nightmare!!! Let's get our kids together soon, while my dad is there. Maybe we can get all the grandparents to deal with the chaos while we go hide! See you soon, Kimberly

Unknown said...

You said it perfectly... I think just imagining this scenario has kept me out of any major shopping sprees... although I did have a strong urge to check out the ice on the highways to Northpark today!