Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas Memories

I have found my thoughts wandering back to the days of young and some of my fondest Christmas memories. These thoughts catch me off guard- while I am in the shower, wrapping gifts, during a commercial, hearing a song or in the midst of certain smells. I just love Christmas and my mind becomes overwhelmed when I try to think of the memories on my own. So, when the thought comes to mind I reflect on that one memory and try to relive it in my mind. Here are some of my most recent recollections.

* My Mamaw and Papaw always came over Christmas Eve morning to see us with our gifts and to have breakfast. Jason and I could not wait to share our excitement with them.

* I remember my dad in his robe taking pictures - ha!

* Before my Grandpa Jenkins died we always went to his place at Lake Tawakoni on Christmas Eve and spent the whole day there with cousins that we did not see very often. We would practice Christmas songs and then perform for any that would listen. All the way home we would look for Rudolph in the sky and were convinced to get home and get in the bed as soon as we got home so Santa would stop.

* One year Dear Mr. Jesus was popular so we sang that for the family.

* Christmas Eve night was the hardest night to fall asleep. When I got a stereo I would play Christmas music all night long. It's still one of my favorite things to do. I heart Christmas music.

There are so many more but once again my mind is flooded and I can't recall specifics and there is whining in the other room so I guess my short trip down memory lane with you stops here.

I hope that my kids will love Christmas and have the fondest of memories when they get older as I do.

And, for the first time in my life I am making the dressing for both family gatherings. I hope that this becomes a good memory and not a funny story that comes up every year. I hear the oven beeping now...

Merry Christmas! May it be filled with Christ and many happy memories!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Whoa! Good luck with that big responsibility! Did you get any cookies?

I remember wearing robes one really cold night and carolling in your neighborhood...

Stephanie said...

The dressing was a hit :) I loved the cookies and so did Santa - they saved the day!! Thank y'all.

And yes, thanks for reminding of the carolling adventure. What fun.