Saturday, April 26, 2008

Arrrrggghhh

And no, I am not trying to be a pirate. It's just my attitude these days. The only word I can describe myself with is pissy. And, I don't normally use that word. But if the shoe fits...in this case, if the word fits. This blog may be a pity party/ gripe fest but Allison said she was ready for an update, so here it is.

* The kids at school are quickly going from bad to worse. They can't walk in a line, they NEVER close their mouths, they do what they want to do when they want to do it, they think I should not make them miss recess if they finish their homework before we go (misunderstanding of the word home in homework).It has been this way all year but they have yet to follow any rules we have set for them then and now. And when it comes to this last part of the year I have to get grumpier as they get rowdier. They'll probably go to 6th grade hating me. All I can say is - oh well. (Please note that I do have some sweet kids who always follow the rules and I thank them for that.) Science TAKS is Thursday, which the state thinks kids should make a 78% to pass. So much for no-child-left-behind. If a normal passing grade is 70%, why would they set the bar so high? That is expecting all kids to be almost "B" quality and some just aren't. It's very frustrating. I will be so glad when this test is over so we can move on to the fun stuff, that is if they behave long enough for me to be able to do this with them.

* My kids at home are growing up so fast and they, too, have minds of their own. Clayson never buckles up anymore and Ashlyn is quick to tattle on him. This starts world war III in my car, I gripe at Clayson and he gripes at Ashlyn. Trey puts his two-cents in sometimes and then we are all involved. I have things to ground them from, finally. They like Guitar Hero and their skateboards. On a pretty day I can take away their motorcycles. I cannot wait for all of them have a room that I can send them to. In this shack, if I send them to their room, they are in my room and less than 100 feet away from me downstairs.

* Building a house is a lot of fun but there are the finances that married couples sometimes disagree about. Jared and I have been doing great; communicating, making decisions, enjoying the progress. But last night we put the numbers on paper and ouch! We spontaneously decided to throw in 700 feet upstairs, which will include two bedrooms, a bathroom and a gameroom. Before that we had room to work with but now that the upstairs has been added, we will have to really watch our numbers to stay within the projected loan amount. There's nothing either one of us want to sacrifice. There are certain things that we each want in certain areas and at this point, we want the best of the best. As we progress, things may change. We sat down and worked on it last night and figured out everything will be fine (especially after two lexapro), we just have to stay within the allowance for each part of the construction. (We now have a house that is completely framed with windows and they are putting on the shingles.If my USB port worked, I could upload pictures.)

I should not be so grumpy. I have so many more things to be thankful for than the things I have to be grumpy about. It's just been one of those weeks.

3 comments:

amber said...

Hey there! I love reading your blog. I totally understand about your kids at school. It is the same for me. TAKS is on Wednesday for my reading students. I've been praying alot. They seem to think that after Wednesday they won't have to do any more work in my class...go figure. They weren't too thrilled when I told them otherwise. I hope to see you this summer! :)
~Amber

Unknown said...

I also totally understand - on all accounts - school, kids and house... the thing is that it is always something... my new thought is that we have to make the best of it... somehow. Easier said than done, for sure!

Unknown said...

You need a new post! Are you still frustrated? Are you tutoring everyday this week? Did y'all have Saturday Math Camp? Come on! Where is the school spirit??

I am anxious to see the sunshine cupcake pics! Thanks for bailing me out! I am so glad y'all enjoyed it. I really had a good time, too.