Thursday, January 27, 2011

change times two

It's the end of January, which is hard to believe. This year I didn't experience the post-Christmas depression as bad as I have in the past. In thinking about the differences, I've come up with one big reason as to why I didn't get the blues. When taking down the tree, putting away the decorations, turning off the Christmas music and finding a place for the gifts, I knew that there were still things to look forward to. In years past, Christmas was good for mind altering - it clouded the vision of reality. This year, reality was as good as it seemed. So, it wasn't as if my happy season was ending, I knew that there would be more fun things in store. (Maybe this isn't making a lick of sense but in my mind it does.) Let me wrap this up - it's been a month since Christmas .. hard to believe.


I've had two significant changes this month, both very positive.


One: This is the first time in ten years that I have taught a self-contained classroom, meaning that we did not switch classes. Even though Reading was my specialization, I had never taught it before. It was challenging. The kids have to take a Reading TAKS test and pass it in the 5th grade and I just wasn't confident that I was doing the students justice and another teacher felt the same way about Math and Science. After voicing some concerns and frustrations, we were able to go back to the way it had always been and we departmentalized. I am now teaching Science and Social Studies, which I love, love, love. Math is also a passion but these subjects are fun. (We also take a Science TAKS test but now we are each responsible for one test instead of all three. Can you hear me taking a huge sigh of relief?) I'm back in my comfort zone. Another benefit of this is that I have all of the 5th graders, including Trey. I've always wondered what it would be like to teach one of my own and it's been great. He's adjusting to calling me Ms. Davis but sometimes "momma" slips. I am enjoying spending half the day, everyday with him.

Two: For the past year, my kids have been spending a day and half with me and then a day and a half with their dad. They did great with it and always knew where they were going to be. But, we finally got "smart" and realized that it was just too crazy, too much back and forth, they were never really settled and a lot of days they were at both houses. So, we have come up with a new schedule and it seems to be working so much better and allowing them to get to enjoy being wherever they are without all of the shuffling. Jared has them Monday & Tuesday, they are with me on Wednesday & Thursday and then whomever has them for the weekend has them Friday through Monday. This always gives them a five day stretch staying at the same place. I can imagine that it has took away some of the stress in their young lives. Ashlyn and Trey are playing basketball on Saturdays so we always get that opportunity to see them when it is not "our weekend". I am having to learn what to do with all of my spare time, I am not used to having so much time on my hands.

The changes have been good at home and in the workplace, both taking some pressure off of me. I am truly blessed through and through.

No comments: