Monday, January 3, 2011

and one time at deer camp...

Since the kids were with their dad over new year's weekend, I packed up three bags and went along to the deer lease for some time with Joey.

Friday, December 31st, New Year's Eve
Our plan was to leave at 8:00 Friday morning but having known Joey for as long as I have, I have come to realize that he is on "Joey time" and beats to his own clock. We left at 10:30. Par. I used to hate road trips but four hours in the truck with him is not bad at all. He talks, we listen. We played the "quiet game" and he managed to stay quiet for all of ten minutes but made up for it immediately. That's one thing about him, he always makes me smile with his personality. We made it in time for the evening hunt and how come it's only in the silence of hunting that my stomach growls, my legs itch and I can't sit still? I thought I was going to be grounded from hunting. After the hunt we headed to visit and have dinner with some of our other friends. The waitresses at the Rockin' R Steakhouse were mean to us from the minute that we walked in. They couldn't / didn't want to seat us, they threw to-go bowls at us and jerked a bag for us to put it in. Happy new year to them, too. We went to Tonya and Kenneth's lease to check it out, stood by the fire long enough to warm up and then hit the road. And, that's exactly where we were when the clock struck midnight, welcoming 2011 - venturing down the road, dodging deer because someone (not me, Lisa or Billy) decided he needed to go through his address book and text ten people at a time "happy new year". (I took the phone and took over the task to save our lives.) So, if it stands true that what you are doing at midnight on New Year's Eve is what you will spend most of your year doing, I guess I'm okay with being on road trips with the boy and friends. And, if I am to spend New Year's Eve at the deer lease every year, so be it.



Saturday, January 1st, Happy New Year!
Saturday morning, I slept in. While the boys were away hunting I brushed my teeth with bottled water (learned how to do this in Mexico), got my washrag soapy and wet and heated it in the microwave to wash my face and hands. It's some major roughing it in the deer woods with no running water and an outhouse that drops into a big hole - this is really tough for me. I'm not a princess but I'm not a tomboy either - I like my comfort that comes from running water, toilets, cell phone service and ceiling fans - none of which this place has to offer. BUT, I go and I have a great time. I've already done many things that I said I would never do and have never done before. I am making progress. It's crazy to think of the things that we will do because you're in love.

After the morning hunt, the boys cooked breakfast, we went into town (cannot go a weekend without visting the WalMart) and got back in time for the boys to go on the evening hunt. Us girls decided that we would stay at camp and fix dinner and build big, huge bonfires (despite the burn ban). I got a couple of texts - when I put my phone in just the right spot you can get a signal - saying that we were too loud. Oops. Lisa used her girl scout/ boy scout skills to keep the bonfire fired up - it was cold. We even made the boys a round firepit by collecting rocks. Stacey and I got the cooking underway. We prepared a feast: cornbread, blackeyed peas, cabbage, steak/backstrap/sausage and baked potatoes. We used the grill, the cooktop, the stove and the microwave. We had a lot of fun hanging out, staying warm and cooking. When the boys got back we ate and shortly after, I crashed. I was exhausted.




Sunday, January 2nd
Sunday morning it was so cold. I stayed in and Joey came back earlier than usual. We got everything packed up and ready to go home. We stopped for lunch at a Mexican food restaurant and made our way back to Crandall. Once at Joey's house I did laundry, we went and picked up pizzas and then we called it a weekend. A great weekend. A great ending to a great Christmas vacation.

No comments: