Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Ouch!

Short story #2

The day before we left to go to Walt Disney World, the right side of Ashlyn's right foot became swollen and very infected. She has gotten bad about going barefoot in the shop and ended up cutting it on something a couple of days before. But, of course, it did not infect until the weekend. So, after church my mom has a nurse look at it and she says that it is infected and that the best thing to do for it would be to soak it in hot water but if it streaks, we should definitley take her to a doctor as soon as possible. Mom soaked the foot and wouldn't you know it streaked. I am at Wal-Mart with Trey taking care of some last minute necessities for the trip when my mom calls and says that I need to either get Ashlyn to a medical facility or call her pediatrician. I choose to call the pediatrician. The doctor is not overly concerned since Ashlyn is not running any fever or acting like it hurts. So, she says that unless either of those occur, it will be okay to bring her into the office the next morning.

Monday morning I look at Ashlyn's foot and it looks better but my mom still wants to take her to the doctor for safe measure before we go on our walking vacation. She goes to the pediatrician, I go get a pedicure. Bad mom, I know. Turns out that her foot is infected, she needs an antibiotic and needs the wound to be soaked in epsom salt at each bath. I go to get her prescription and they tell me it will be $43, with insurance. They also tell me that this Augmentin will probably cause nauseousness, needs to be kept refrigerated and must be taken with a meal. I decline the medication. Bad mom, I know. I just could not see spending so much money on medicine when her foot looked good and I did not want her to be sick on the trip and where could I keep this refrigerated throughout the day. My mom and I decided that if worse came to worse, we could always have the doctor's office call in the prescription where we were and we could go from there. Plus, we had the epsom salt and an antibiotic ointment.

By the time we left Monday afternoon, the foot was great. Great enough to wear the cute flip flops that I had bought her to go with her Hannah Montana shirt that she planned to ride on the airplane. It looked like we had overcome the foot obstacle UNTIL the cute little flip flops rubbed blisters on the other side of her foot! She cried and carried on. The handicap cart stopped and gave us a ride to the T.G.I.Fridays that we were trying to find. I had to pack her flip flops in my carry on and thank goodness Emma was wearing socks that stretched out enough to cover Ashlyn's foot as she walked around DFW. That is, when she decided she was okay enough to walk. And thank goodness that an hour later we found a pair of white "crocs" to purchase for the rest of the trip. It wasn't until the blister incident that I realized that the only shoes I had packed were cute flip flops and I had left her tennis shoes at home, of all things to forget. The crocs were a blessing all week.

The foot was not a problem the rest of the trip. Ashlyn was even able to wear a different pair of flip flops all day one day. So, all wasn't lost. There were a few other random "ouches" that happened throughout the week. The minute we got into the Magic Kingdom I whipped my camera out of the bag and smacked Ashlyn right in the nose with it. She cried because it hurt. Dadgum. Trey wanted to beat us to the bus terminal by running in the dark. He didn't see the chain that was ahead of him so he ran right into it and it flattened him on his back. My mom, Ashlyn and I were a ways back so a friendly, non-English speaking woman helped him up and comforted him until we got there. He had a chain imprint on his stomach. Then, I was pushing him in the stroller and went down two stairs and it hurt his back enough that he cried. I thought it would be a fun ride. He was so mad at me.

Despite the ouch issues, we had a great time and all injuries have healed nicely :0)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ok, ok - we are ready for some princess pics!!