Thursday, January 17, 2008

You're A What?!


Yesterday I stayed home from school. The week long nagging cough got the best of me. It has robbed me of getting enough rest at night, so I decided to stay home to try to make up for it. Ashlyn played and watched cartoons all day while I stayed on the couch (when I wasn't straightening, washing dishes or doing laundry). Jared left for Arizona after lunch and will be gone until Sunday. Around 3:30, Ashlyn and I went over to Ralph and D'Uan's driveway to wait for the boys to get off the bus. I had sat out meat for dinner so when we got home I started cooking. Then, I got a pounding headache. I took some tylenol and continued cooking the chili-mac and green beans for the boys and I. I forced Ashlyn to make a decision on what she would eat for dinner. She wanted peas but I did not have any. Her next choice was cereal, as usual she wanted something sweet. She takes after my Granny in that way. She finally agreed to spaghettios. For those of you that don't know, Ashlyn is a very picky eater. She does not eat any meat except chicken nuggets from McDonalds. There is hardly anything that she likes and just because she likes it one day does not mean she will like it the next. So, we sat down in the living room to eat when everything was ready. There was play-doh all over the table so we ate and watched American Idol. The boys finished hastily and Ashlyn ate four bites. I told her I would put Emma and Arron (her babies) up if she didn't eat. She ate the four bites and Trey finished off the spaghettios, practically licking the bowl.




Ashlyn went to take a bath after dinner and the boys went upstairs to play the play station. Because of the way I felt (headache and coughing), I told the kids that they would be going to bed at 7:00 and they could watch tonight's American Idol in bed. They were as cranky as I was so I knew they needed the rest to get them through the rest of the week. 7:00 came and they all laid down. They fought and played while I scolded until about 7:45. As soon as I turn the kitchen light off because I am through cleaning, Clayson, Trey and Ashlyn decide they are hungry and thirsty. I lectured them about eating when it is time and asking for more at bedtime. I let them have a drink but their hunger would have to wait until breakfast. Ashlyn came back downstairs about 8:15 and was crying for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I could not deny her this nutrition. I got on to her for not eating, etc. She cried harder and through her tears she said , "I'm sorry momma. I'm just a failure". I was stunned. Had she said what I thought she said? "You're a what?", I asked. She repeated the word failure. I hugged her, assured her I wasn't mad and that she wasn't a failure. What four year old uses this word? I asked her over and over where she had heard this and the only thing she could remember is that she saw it on TV.




She never ceases to amaze me with what she hears and that she is able to use it in the right context. I reboosted her self confidence and then sent her back to bed. A little bit later I hear, "momma, I'm thirsty"....

1 comment:

Allison said...

I'm glad she just didn't say "freakin' failure," because the other day big A used the word "freakin'" in the right context.