Friday, August 7, 2009

Heaven bound

My dear friend, Sharon, has been at the hospital with her mom, "Granny", since Tuesday afternoon. It has been an emotional roller coaster as she has witnessed her mom at times incoherent, talking to people that have previously passed, had several family meetings with the doctor about decisions that have to be made based on her condition, her mom has heart attacks and doesn't know it and her blood pressure was fatally low. Wednesday night she had an arrythmia that they have to normally shock people to bring them back and Granny never knew it. In spite of it all, her mom is still talking, joking, eating and sleeping. Yesterday at 1:00 she was given two hours at the max. Last night she had Sharon go get her Taco Bell and then they even got told to settle down by the nurse because they were laughing and cutting up. This morning Sharon said that her mom slept like a rock last night. Her mansion in Heaven is not ready yet.

Sharon called me on Wednesday when her mom was at a very low point and told me that everyone (her and her siblings) had to be in agreement to "pull the plug" and she was the only one that wasn't - said she felt like she was killing her. I told Sharon that no matter what they decided, all of this is in God's time and He will take her when He is ready and the plug has nothing to do with it. So, if she didn't want to do this she didn't have to. She texted me later and decided to stand her ground with her decision. Throughout the day we kept in touch and her mom ended up pulling through this valley and came back to her senses. She seemed to be rallying.

Yesterday, Sharon called me at 8:45 and told me that her mom wanted to know if I would come and talk to her. Of course! I jumped out of bed, got ready, called Ginger (my boss) and told her that I didn't know what God was calling me to do here but I was going to do it and wouldn't make my meetings this afternoon. All the way to Rockwall I listened to "How Great is Our God", "I Can Only Imagine" and "Open the Eyes of My Heart Lord". I spent the entire trip praying, searching for words of comfort, thinking of scripture but deep down I knew that God was going to guide me through this experience and that I did not need to worry. But, I was scared. I will be the first to say that I am a sinner saved by grace. Nothing made me worthy to be called into this situation.

I got to the hospital, asked for ICU and was on my way. I found her mom's room and was surprised to see her sitting in the hospital bed and talking. I just did not know what to expect. Sharon and her sister left the room and left Granny and I there to talk. Granny was afraid she was going to Hell and this left her scared to die. I asked her if she had been saved and she said that she had but she didn't go to church. I tried to tell her that that did not matter, if she has Jesus in her heart, He never left. I asked her if she wanted to pray and she said she didn't know how - I told her I would pray with her. Holding her hand we thanked God for her life, her legacy, her kids and grandkids, for the time that she had left and that she would be given the peace that passes all understanding that only He can give. She was still so uncertain that she would be getting to go to Heaven so we read scripture, talked about how we are all sinners but are forgiven and that once you are saved, you are always saved. I asked her if she wanted to ask Jesus into her heart again (mainly for her peace of mind) and she did but she said again that she didn't know how to pray. I gently told her that this was not a prayer I could pray for her but I could tell her exactly what to say and she did. Right then she asked Jesus back into her heart. "You're set!" I told her. A big smile, a wave of relief and a peace came about her. It was an amazing experience and such a God thing. I have no words to describe this and I will never ever forget it.

A little background here: I had only met Sharon's mom one time at school. But, there were several times that we would prank call her and I would ask her if she had "seen my weedeater" - silly and fun. Granny always played along. So, when she was telling Sharon she was afraid she was going to Hell, Sharon offered to get the chaplin or other people and she said that they didn't know her, she wanted the weedeater woman. This is when I got the call that changed my life.

God is good. As long as I have been a Christian (25 years) never have I been brought face to face with Him like this. I am forever changed.

Thank you, Granny, for allowing me to be a part of this time of your life. When you do get to Heaven, please tell my Granny and my Papa hello for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have tears in my eyes. So beautiful. Sharon and Granny are so fortunate to have you in their lives weedeater woman. :)