Tuesday, March 1, 2011

thank goodness there were only 28 days

February was just plain crazy. Theres nothing like four ice days and two late starts in just ten school days to throw you off balance. It made for a hectic month at school. You can only coop kids up inside with no recess, because it's too cold, for so long. Then, throw in a full moon the third week of the month and you have been granted three weeks of chaos - controlled chaos, of course. And, it's the time of year, we teachers refer to as "crunch time" - how many days until the TAKS test, what concepts do I still need to teach and how are we going to get it all done. You take away four days and that disrupts the timing that was all perfectly, well almost perfectly, planned out. It is time to step up our game.

Speaking of game, Dallas (Arlington) hosted the Super Bowl this year and we tried to give the kids a little taste of Super Bowl fever. Joey and I took our kids to the NFL experience one night; my kids and I went with my parents to Cowboys Stadium the day before the Super Bowl to try to "get in the game" a little bit - just being amongst fans, tourists, security and the stadium in all its glory; and then (apparently I got wrapped up in the hoopla) date night with Joey was spent cruising around it again. We wrapped up the NFL season by watching the game and eating some good grub at Sharon and Brian's house with lots of friends.

It was a month filled with basketball practice two nights a week and Saturdays revolved around three games. Ashlyn and Trey both enjoy this sport a lot. Clayson's baseball season started with Saturday practices. We are thankful that his elbow has healed nicely from surgery and that he is back in the game. Between all three of my kids and Matt playing and Joey coaching, life as we know it is about to get crazy busy(er). We wouldn't have it any other way. Batters up!

Joey spent nine days of the month out of town - two trips to Austin and a trip to Houston - for work. I was reminded that "absence makes the heart grow fonder" each time. It wasn't so bad on days that I had my kids but days without all of my loves were long and lonely. (I know, I am such a sap these days.) We did manage to have some fun when he was home - we had a Poker night with friends; a night out at Pete's Piano Bar with Jason, Megan and another couple; and dinner and a quick shopping trip after school one Friday. We spent Valentine's weekend and the day together - he made it one I will never forget. It's these times together that I am reminded how blessed that I am.

My weekends with the kids were filled with fun. We saw two movies, they had friends over and went to play with friends. We spent an afternoon with Mamaw and Papaw and they spent time with their Mimi and Pawpaw. All is well in their little worlds. A month later, I can see that the new schedule has improved their stability and consistency and it has created a lot less drama in the family. I miss them when they are gone but since I work where they spend their days, I still see them often.

February was a rough month, glad to see it become a part of history. I am glad it wasn't a month with 30 or 31 days.

Another six weeks has come and gone, now we're down to two. Another sports season has ended, now we are all involved. Another month has ended, now we are approaching spring. Bring on the sunshine.

No comments: