Tuesday, May 1, 2012

two years ago...

Some days it seems crazy that it's already been two years since our first date and other days it seems crazy that it's only been two years since our first date. As the old saying goes, "time flies when you are having fun". We can honestly find a lot of truth in that cliche.

Two years ago I was in an extreme condition - fighting many emotional battles, knowing that I had no choice but to get on with my life. I knew that more than anything I needed to find myself again. I didn't know what made me happy, I didn't know what it would take to make me find confidence in an uncertain future. I knew what I had always wanted but never had. I knew what I had hoped for but had given up on. I knew what obstacles had to be overcome but was not sure how. When life as you know it is completely turned upside down, all at once, nothing seems clear anymore.The crossroads become confusing but the journey is inevitable.

Joey was what I considered a "risky" relationship. I had to make a choice which direction to go because I wasn't good at playing two decks of cards. In one hand I had safety and in the other hand I found risk. I'm always up for a challenge so I chose to take the risk. After all, I wasn't looking to get serious, just wanted to have fun. He seemed nice enough, cool enough and funny enough to bring this fun into my life. (He was also very persistent.) It was like being in high school again but with grown up knowledge. I was being given a second chance at living a happy life and I have never looked back. Our relationship has become more than I ever dreamed of. (You know life is good when reality is finally better than your dreams.)


Two years ago today...
Saturday: May 1st, 2010 - all baseball games canceled. Yay! This meant that I could sleep in a bit and get back to the grind of packing and moving, which had become part of my daily routine. My mom, dad and grandparents all came over to help me try to find the light at the end of this long, dark tunnel.
For the past month, Joey and I had been texting, talking and had even been seen in public together a few times (baseball games, Fat Dawgs, Braums) but tonight we were going to make it an official date, the kind where the boy picks the girl up and brings her home. (Home, by the way, would be at my mom and dad's house starting tonight.) Joey stopped by Saturday afternoon in the midst of blood, sweat and tears offering to help and bring me goodies (a refrigerator for my classroom, trash bags, and stickers for my students - all via Blockbuster clean out jobs). I was nervous for him to be there, around my family. I knew that this kind of change may be unwelcoming so I kept him at a distance (and outside). He graciously offered to help do anything that needed done. I just couldn't get past the "wall" that I was putting up. This wall was put up with the intentions of protecting my feelings and to prevent me from forgetting that I was ready to have fun, nothing more. He stuck around for a bit. When he left I told my Mamaw that we were going to be hanging out tonight and she said, "you just got rid of one". Ha! I would not have expected any other reaction. The day drug on with no end in sight. I finally just quit so that I could get ready for the night.

A friend was having a birthday party at one of her friend's houses. Thank goodness the forecasted rain stayed away and that the party wasn't canceled. Joey picked me up about 7:00 and we headed to Crandall. It had been many years since either of us had been on a date. I think we were both nervous and excited. He wouldn't know anyone at the party and I was looking forward to him meeting many of my friends.

We got there, got some crazy glances (some did not even know I was divorced). Joey fit right in and was probably more comfortable than I was. (Talk about me going from one extreme to the other - the ex never talked to anyone or even tried to have fun. Joey tends to bring the fun.) By the end of the night I could feel my "wall" slowly losing strength. I wanted to have fun and he was definitely someone that I could have fun with. Later I told him that he had gotten "two thumbs up" from all the friends. He said, that's cool, but what about you? That's what really matters. My response - of course I like you.

So, this is where our journey began. Two years later we are still deeply in love,  we still have so much fun together, love to spend time together and get along as best friends/ people in love should. Our future is as bright as our past and we look forward to making many more great memories together and together with our kids. Within the past six months we have learned how to function as a family with five kids and we enjoy every minute. He makes me happier than I have ever been, my kids love him and laugh at him and I will always be thankful for the broken roads that led us to each other. Many people thought it was crazy, that we were complete opposites and that it wouldn't last. But, we couldn't be more perfect for each other and by keeping it real, keeping it simple and keeping it fun - we've built a relationship made to last.

I'll end by saying thank you to Joey for allowing me to get on with my life, making me happy, building my confidence in the future, being all I had ever hoped of having, helping me to overcome many obstacles and turning my world right side up. We are right where we need to be with an amazing past and a promising future. I love you, Joey Smith!

No comments: